CREATING SUPERIOR EXPERIENCES THROUGH SUSTAINABLE STRATEGIES
The Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) is one of the busiest centers in the world, encompassing 3.2 million square feet of space. Each year, nearly 2 million visitors walk through the doors to attend conventions, meetings, special events and some of the world’s largest industry tradeshows.
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA), a public agency which markets Las Vegas as a leisure and business travel destination, operates the Las Vegas Convention Center, and is committed to sustainable strategies that create superior customer experiences.
Through our business operations – during both building events and the LVCVA daily employee administrative activities -- we are committed to minimizing waste and conserving natural resources.
Greener Meetings and Events
We partner with show producers, building clients, business partners and contractors to:
- Maximize recycling of excess materials, including carpet, techno trash, cables and more.
- Utilize eco-friendly cleaning products.
- Offer plant-based food options which can reduce carbon emissions and waste byproducts.
- Connect building clients with local community organizations, charities and non-profits which can benefit from corporate social responsibility initiatives.
Greener Operation Strategies, 365-days a year
The LVCVA has implemented initiatives in the convention center that minimize waste and maximize resources not only during active building events, but all year long.
WE SAVE ENERGY
- Reducing lighting intensity by 50% during event move-in/move-out periods
- Powering off escalators on low-traffic days
- Converting lighting fixtures to energy-efficient LED lamps
WE CONSERVE WATER
- Utilizing low-flow toilets in nearly 100% of all bathrooms.
- Installing desert landscaping throughout the grounds, saving more than 1 million gallons of water annually.
- Using products certified by the EPA WaterSense program, which use less water and save energy.
WE REDUCE WASTE
- Using a dual-stream process that captures mixed recyclables (paper, plastics, metals, reusable dishware), diverting items from trash receptacles.
- Practicing environmental purchasing, in which the LVCVA evaluates the environmental and sustainability of the property it purchases. In addition, used equipment that is no longer viable to operation is auctioned to local vendors who may benefit from their use.
WE REDUCE EMISSIONS - with low-impact transportation options from the LVCC campus
- The Las Vegas Monorail connects the Las Vegas Convention Center to six stations along Las Vegas Boulevard.
- RTC Transit provides services for conventions as well as regular stops near the LVCC.
- Taxis and rideshare services are available during events.
- The LVCVA utilizes electric-powered carts and lifts on Las Convention Center campus.
ON THE HORIZON
Moving forward, LVCVA is committed to building on current successes and maintaining a proactive approach towards future sustainable activities. As we continue to experience growth within our industry, we anticipate an even greater need to explore sustainable options and remain committed to our stakeholders, customers and community.